Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Spirit of Christmas


 

This past weekend, on December 20th, I celebrated my one-year anniversary of living in Montreal! As I have been reflecting on all that has happened since arriving here, it amazes me how God has provided for all my needs since starting to serve at The Open Door.

 
Since I first arrived in Montreal, I have been astonished by the graciousness of others. Amy, a friend of Sarah’s, allowed me to stay at her place for the first few weeks while she was away visiting her family in another province for Christmas. Then I was able to rent a fully furnished apartment for five months from Nathan and Sherri, other friends of Sarah, who were living in Berlin, Germany but still had an apartment in Montreal. And let’s not forget my best friend, Sarah, who has helped me immensely to get settled and acclimatized to the French culture that surrounds me. I now realize just how important it is to be fluent in French, since it’s the primary language spoken here in Quebec.

 
One of the most amazing things that I have seen in my first year of serving as a missionary is the development of my abilities to deal with the chronic issue of homelessness. God has definitely been involved in teaching me love, patience, kindness, grace and mercy when it comes to serving those who have been forgotten by society as a whole. I know I can’t personally end homelessness all on my own, but I do know that I have helped The Open Door become more accessible for those who are living on the streets to find a safe place to rest, eat, and access the services that they need in order to help make their lives a bit easier. It takes a team to accomplish what happens every day at The Open Door and, as I have talked about in previous updates, I am grateful to be working alongside a great team of fellow workers and volunteers.

 
In the true spirit of Christmas, The Open Door is going to be open during the entire Christmas holiday week. Since we are one of the only day shelters/drop-in centers that will be open during this time, we expect to see an increase in the numbers of clients served each day. Each day this week, a different church or group of volunteers will come in to prepare, cook, and serve our homeless friends. Both of the churches that I attend, Vineyard Montreal (www.vineyardmontreal.com) and Emmaus Anglican Church (www.emmausanglicanchurch.com), will take their turn to serve the needs of our friends at The Open Door. What a blessing it is to be a part of such a demonstration of love to those who don’t have families or homes during the Christmas season.

 
As this year draws to a close, I am grateful for how God has provided for my financial and spiritual needs by using everyone who has given financially and prayerfully. God has definitely had His hand on my life over the past year, and it is evident by how I have grown personally and how my relationships have developed with those who surround me both here in Montreal and abroad.


If God is calling you to share His love, don’t hesitate and I challenge you to trust in Him with your whole heart and let Him direct your paths (Proverbs 3:5-6). I also ask you to consider sharing and partnering with me in my mission to help The Open Door serve Montreal’s homeless. It’s never too late to give and all year-end gifts will be tax deductible.

For more information on what I do at The Open Door, please check out my most recent video:


To all my supporters and your loved ones, I wish you all a very merry Christmas and all the best for 2015.

To Christ be all the glory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment